JUNEAU | 127.77 ACRES | CONSERVED IN 2014
SEAL Trust purchased the Montana Creek Wetlands property from Juneau Youth Services in 2014, and now holds the fee-simple title. Up until that point, JYS used the land for their outdoor education programs and garden. Historically, the land has also been used for berry picking, scientific research, cross-country skiing/snowshoeing, fishing, plant harvest, educational trips, and hiking.
- Protects high value pristine palustrine wetlands
- Wildlife habitat corridor
- Bird nesting and migratory bird habitat
- Flood protection
- Rare open space the property provides in the Mendenhall Valley
Ecological Value & Public Benefit
- High proportion of perennial wetlands providing flood storage
- Interspersion of wetland channels through wetlands
- Utilization by juvenile salmon and resident fish
- Provides bear and deer movement corridor
- Provides opportunity for contiguous stream corridor integrity
Because of the potential damage to vegetation and disturbance to wildlife, camping and campfires are prohibited unless located in the pre-existing camp area and with SEAL Trust’s permission. Also, mountain biking and off-road motorized vehicles are prohibited.